Wednesday 13 June 2012

Bread

Without really realising it, I have got to the point where I am baking almost all the bread that our family eats, which, for a gluten intolerant girl, is rather a feat!

I originally came to the process of kneading the dough from a potter's point of view - to mix the clay and to remove air bubbles. In more recent times I have used my beloved bright red Kitchenaid mixer to do the kneading as it helped to save time.

So it was a very different experience for me when, on Sunday night due to a power outage, I hand kneaded the dough using the technique described in the River Cottage Handbook No.3 Bread, by Daniel Stevens.

It's brilliant. And, after leaving the dough in the fridge for the night as well which helped to develop a more mature flavour (and also helps break down the gluten to make it easier to digest), I found the resulting texture of the flatbread to be far superior to the bread I have made in the past.



Ah, yes, flatbread. My family's new passion. It is definitely a more time intensive process but the resulting bread gets quickly gobbled up. And, even though my oven is now working again thanks to two new elements, I will be continuing the flatbread baking for some time to come.

Yum!

Sam xx

1 comment:

  1. A feast for the eyes and tummies!

    I love bread, but it loves me back too much, especially around the bum & thighs - *sigh*.

    Hope you are all OK with the fierce weather - We had rainy ceilings, trees down, but worst of all, the beach has disappeared!

    ReplyDelete