Sunday 22 July 2012

Apple Butter Cake

One of my favourite jobs to help with in the garden is pruning the fruit trees - and that's what we did this weekend.

Yesterday we picked the last of the Lady Williams apples, stripped the remaining apple tree leaves, and pruned the branches ready for the new fruiting season.



And today, after we juiced the apples, I made Apple Butter Cake. Yum!



Apple Butter Cake

185g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cloudy apple juice
1 Red Delicious apple (I used Pink Lady)
1 tablespoon demerara sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fanforced). Grease and line a 20cm springform pan.

Beat butter, vanilla and caster sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Gently stir through flours and apple juice in two batches until combined. Spread the mixture into cake pan.

Cut apple into quarters and remove core. Slice into very thin strips. Place apple slices in two circles around cake so that they overlap each other. Make sure that the centre is well covered. Sprinkle apples with combined demerara sugar and cinnamon.

Bake in oven for about 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out.

Serves 8

( Recipe from P41, The Weekend Australian Magazine July 23-24 2005)


Did you have a beautiful weekend?

Sam xx

6 comments:

  1. Wow, can't believe you still had apples on your tree!! Quite a difference in climates and growing seasons. Obviously the cockatoos didn't find your apples like they did ours.

    That cake looks delish too.
    My weekend has been lovely. Market yesterday and a quiet day today. Beautiful weather, blue sky ,sunshine, good coffee and the last episode of Downton Abbey tonight!!

    Have a great week,

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the parrots found our apples. Then the Silver Eye finches took over. The remaining apples were hiding underneath the chewed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks lovely. I must try it (don't have our own apples though). I've not made or tried apple cake for years! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I've actually been having a think about this cake since I made it, and I would probably use some more apple juice, reduce it a bit to make it thicker, and then drizzle it over the freshly baked cake in order to add a bit more moisture. Truly yum!

      Delete
  4. Yum!

    We have to fight the 28's, Rainbow Loris, wattlebirds, & honey eaters for the mulberries & figs. They always win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous shots! And that cake looks sensational. I'm in baking mode myself today, but I'm going with banana bread because sad looking bananas I have but alas beautiful apple tree and bucket full of freshly picked apples I do not. Sigh!
    Thanks so much for visiting and leaving me such a lovely comment.
    You have such a great blog and there are sooo many posts that I relate to I had trouble choosing where to leave a comment. : ) Alisa

    ReplyDelete